Saturday, October 30, 2010

Milestone

Well guys not much to say on this one. My day started with a 12:30 am  drive to Charlotte and ended 18 hours later with me sick as a dog on a friends couch in Boston. Everything in-between was just a big long blur.

THE PROCEDURE
There I was, sitting in a sterile room, listening to Tchaikovsky, Bach, and Gershwin do what they do best, help me relax.  It started with the doc using "numbing drops" to alleviate the pain. As he poked and prodded at my eye I would unexpectedly twitch or jump each time. He asked if I was nervous and I just said "no, it just might be a little tender". Maybe its just me, but there is something about watching an instrument come towards your eye and when contact is made I would think it would make anyone a little jumpy. Its like watching a gnat fly into your eye and just letting it walk around on your cornea without blinking or twitching........just doesnt seem natural. Anyway, once he started getting deep into the pocket of the lid the pain began. It was clinched teeth and deep breathing from then on out. I would like to think that my pain tolerance is now at a whole new level! "Almost there" he said. Just at that moment he took a needle to the eyelid to numb it enough to place a deep slit to access more of the eye. Out came the piece of silicone and in went a symblepharon ring. This is like a giant hard contact lens with a hole in the middle of it. It was placed there to keep the spacing that was developed between the eyelid and the eye and to keep the lid from adhering back to the eye. This was never an option before. 


the symblepharon ring

As I wiped the blood from my eye I looked up to see that Dr Fay was still in the room. He was not only still in the room but he was giving me a pep talk. He talked about how we had hit a milestone today and that we would be able to move on with manipulating the eyelid itself. We talked about that up until this point if I would have had an enucleation the orbit would not have been able to support a prosthetic and I would have had to have an orbital exenteration. We talked about what other procedures might look like and how much more he can do to help save the eye. We are both uncertain about the outcome but at the end of the day we want to walk away knowing that we did everything possible. 

Whats Next???

He wants me to go back up in a month to see how the ring is working and how the eye is healing. If there is something that he wants to do immediately then he will throw me in the OR the next day. Until then its the continuation of prayer, the saving of money, and the dreaming of skiing as winter nears!!! 

Interactive Part!!!!

 For those of you unsure as to what an enucleation and an orbital exeneration is I would encourage you to look it up on google and defiantly check out the images that are wicked cool. (did I just say wicked? I think I am spending too much time in boston) I thought that if I posted some of the images I might lose some of my readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment