Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Rough Recovery

The recovery from surgery was a little tougher this time around.  For the first week every movement of my eye would be excruciating. I spent a lot of time in prayer because my eyes were closed most of the time. My Aunt did the best she could with me under the circumstances. I was unable to enjoy walks on the beach and explore New York so instead my aunt had a little birthday party for me at her place and invited over some of her friends to cheer me up. Percocet did not work for the first couple of days but after a couple of days and doubling the dose it soon became my best friend. The days before leaving went much better and I was able to enjoy some of the time with my aunt and the incredibly cool Fitzgerald family who provided me with some great dinners including the best pizza in New York! The day before my follow-up I went and had an amazing crab and lobster dinner overlooking boston and the harbor with my good friend Jenn Morell. The live music for a tuesday night made us laugh because of how bad it was but the food was great and the company was even better. The next day I hoped on the T and headed to my follow-up. Dr Fay described to me the procedure that was done. Basically he took an artificial amniotic membrane and draped it over a piece of silicone. He then took that piece of silicone and sutured it as high up into my eyelid as possible in hopes that it would keep the eyelid from re-adhering to the eye. He said that it looked good and only time would tell. I got back to Augusta Thursday with minimal pain and work was fine that day. However, the next morning was one of the most painful mornings I have ever experienced in my life. It literally felt like someone had torn off my eyelid, poured alcohol all over it and then took the palm of their hand and tried to push my eyeball into the back of my head. It took everything I had to get in the car and make it to the E.R. I ended up going to a optometrist friend of mine. I was able to be seen immediately and was given multiple antibiotics and steroids. They are not sure what it was but all that really mattered was that the pain had been relieved. I am still taking percocet to take the edge off which has been a huge help.

My New Best Friend

 I am headed back up to see Dr Fay on October 20. We have gotten to the point that if recovery goes as planned then we will move to the next stage, however, if this procedure did not work then there is nothing else he can really do. Either way I am not giving up!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Holy cow Eric, how painful was it to stick that pill in your eyeball?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay strong Eric. I'll continue to keep you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete