Saturday, August 28, 2010

My first procedure

In layman terms the first part of the procedure consisted of separating my eyeball from my eyelid because of the scaring that had developed and fused the two of them together. The second part of that procedure is where they take an artificial graph and place it over the scaring to assist in moving the eyelid and to prevent it from fusing back together again.

One early morning in July I arrived at Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary ready for phase one of "Operation Eyeball". Everything went fairly smoothly in the beginning. I met with the OR nurse, multiple anesthesiologist and other medical students there to observe. The only thing missing was Dr Fay. They decided to role me into the OR and assured me he would be arriving shortly. After waiting in the OR on the table for ten minutes Dr Fay walks in tells me they he is doing general anastasia instead of local and thats all I remember. I am not sure if its because Harvard Medical is attached with this program where they feel that things can be done however they want because they are the best at what they do but I feel that a lot of professionalism was lacking that day. Upon waking up there was not a single face that I recognized and nobody around to tell me how the procedure went. I found this to be very upsetting but still being half awake and doped up I just let it slide. My wonderful Aunt Lisa from New York came and picked me up with my cousin Greg. On the way home I was very nauseous and threw up twice. I would have expected Mass Eye and Ear to have put some anti nausea medicine in my IV before I left but once again they let me down. The next day I was finally able to get a hold of my doctor and find out how things went. He assured me that everything went smoothly and that he could not be happier with the results. After hearing this all of my frustration with the whole procedure just slipped away and I found myself with the hope of being one step closer.
        In the following weeks leading up to the follow-up appointment I was able to recover on the beaches of New York under the care of my loving aunt and cousin. Days consisted of longs walks on the beach to find my cousin life-guarding down of 42nd and wonderful evenings with my aunt and her amazing puerto rican cooking skills! When all was said and done I returned to Boston for the follow-up. Meeting with Dr. Fay was again very encouraging. He viewed his worked and stated that it is continuing to heal quite nicely and that it could not have gone any better!   I was on my way to a pain free eye!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment